Monday, January 21, 2013

Snowflakes for Sale

So I finally got my first real opportunity to sell my work.  My neighbor owns a children's specialty store right down the block, and after tasting and loving my Amazeballs, she offered to put my cookies up on her front counter!  What an awesome opportunity.  Today was Martin Luther King Day, and according to my neighbor, one of the busiest days in her store (since kids have off from school).  It was the perfect time to put a batch at her counter.  I ran to Michaels to get some packaging materials, then I made a delicious batch winter-themed snowflakes (using the same recipe as the Chanukah sugar cookies, since they got such rave reviews). 

The cookies were put right up at the front counter along with a sign that said "Want a personalized batch of cookies for your next party?  Contact jessicagoldbergcookies@gmail.com ."

Well... I regret to inform you that after being out ALL day, not one cookie sold and I have gotten no emails :(     My neighbor swears that the cookies got a lot of "oohs and ahhs" and said it's worth another shot tomorrow.  She said the store was so busy that people were crazed, and that was the reason that no one bought them.  I think she was just being nice, but we'll see what happens.  Stay tuned for another post.

3 comments:

  1. They look so pretty! Maybe one day you should make mini ones so that customers can taste them first. That way you'll get them hooked. I know that I've had really good sugar cookies and others that weren't as good. Maybe people were hesitant because of that? Just a suggestion :)

    Also, if you do end up selling more of your cookies, you can buy a ton of different sized FDA-approved bags and boxes from clearbags.com. I've purchased from them many times for the greeting cards that I make. I also bought food safe bags from them for the chocolate covered pretzel favors we had at the church after our wedding. It's worth it if you intend on buying in bulk. When I buy 1000 envelopes at a time, it costs so little per envelope.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a great idea, I'll probably try that soon! And I'm a ways away from 1000 cookies at a time (gotta sell ONE first ha), but I can dream so I'll keep that in mind for the future :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha yeah, I didn't start off buying the 1000. I got the 100 sets first. But I kept ordering from them and decided to just jump in with the bigger orders. I go through them quickly during my church's bake sale. I also have 2 big drawer things at home that have envelopes and boxes and packaging material. It's just the start; you'll be needing those big quantities before you know it! I love seeing how you learn more as you make each new batch of cookies! Glad that you get to have fun with it too :)

    ReplyDelete